This tip was submitted to the Visual Studio .NET Info Center Tip Exchange by member Clive Chinery. Let other users know how useful it is by rating the tip below. Got a tip or code of your own you'd like to share? Submit it here.
This tip explains how to set permissions for ASP.NET to write to the registry without making ASP.NET a local admin.
- Run REGEDT32 and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog and create, for example, APP_LOG.
- Open Event Log Viewer and set up the log parameters (size, overwrite, etc.).
- In REGEDT32, highlight the log, click Security, and then click Permissions within the form menu.
- Click Add to get an NT user selection dialog.
- Select the user ASP.NET, click Add and then OK to leave the selection dialog.
- Select appropriate permissions of Read or Full Control (or Advanced if a more tailored setting is required).