Building on the success of the "How Do I" video series for ASP.NET and ASP.NET AJAX, Microsoft has released video tutorials for nine more topics of interest to .NET developers.
The Web development videos emerged last year, not long after ASP.NET AJAX made its CTP debut as Atlas. "[T]he response has been very positive from the community both in terms of total downloads and individual feedback to the presenters," Soma Somasegar, corporate vice president of Microsoft's developer unit, wrote in a blog entry called Helping developers with "How Do I" information.
- Visual Basic 2005: The videos here fall under three categories -- data-driven development with WinForms, object binding and the Visual Basic Interop Forms Toolkit. Source code is available for download as well.
- Microsoft Expression: There is a lot to see about Microsoft's toolset for Web designers. The plurality of the videos cover Expression Web, the product for designing standards-based Web apps, but there are also a handful of videos for Expression Blend, Expression Media and Expression Design.
- Silverlight: Here developers can learn Silverlight techniques such as real-time data updates, editing video, working with XAML and creating custom error handling.
- Windows Presentation Foundation: This collection of video tutorials demonstrates animation, the use of XAML and working with Expression Blend. There's also an introduction to Cider, the WPF design tool for developers that will be included in Visual Studio 2008.
These categories, meanwhile, only have a few videos in them as of now, though it is safe to say many more are on the way.
- WinForms: Topics in these video tutorials include data binding, tool strips, menus and status toolbars.
- .NET Compact Framework development: The inaugural video here offers hints for merge replication for mobile device access.
- Visual Studio Extensibility: This category will focus on customizing Visual Studio to your liking. The most recent video discusses how to write data directly to the output window.
- Visual Studio Tools for Office: The latest here focuses on custom XML parts in Microsoft Word 2007. There are a couple videos for manipulating and extending Microsoft Excel workbooks.
- Visual Studio 2005 Team System: Here developers will find two videos related to the use and customization of TeamPlain, Microsoft's tool for Web-based access to Team Foundation Server.