Today's workers are not tethered to the office. Some spend much time in the field; others work at home or at a branch office many miles away. This boosts convenience and morale, but with such a large distributed network, it can wreak havoc on application performance.
NewsFactor Magazine Online recently published Seven Ways to Boost Application Performance, a set of hints for enterprise developers and architects. The major lesson here is that bandwidth isn't everything.
Here, in brief, are the article's seven hints.
- Emulate WAN (wide-area network) conditions.
- Study the traffic on your network.
- Put a terminal server in place.
- Invest in WAN optimization or app acceleration technology.
- Take a look at the apps on your server.
- Upgrade to MPLS (Multiprotocol Label Switching).
- Don't wait for information to come to you.
For more details, read the article in its entirety.