"Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or services."
Now I read somewhere that ASP.NET has to be activated, so I followed the steps below:
To enable ASP.NET access through IIS (this is what I had to do):
- From the Start menu, choose Run.
- In the Open dialog box, type compmgmt.msc s, and then click OK to open the Computer Management dialog box.
- In the Computer Management dialog box, expand Services and Applications.
- In the Services and Applications node, click Services and find World Wide Web Publishing Service in the right pane. If the status is Started, skip to step 6. Otherwise, double-click World Wide Web Publishing Service to open the Properties window, change Startup Type to Automatic, and click Start in the Service Status area, click OK.
- In the Services and Applications node, right-click Internet Information Services, select All Tasks from the shortcut menu, choose Restart IIS, and click OK to start IIS.
- In the Services and Applications node, expand Internet Information Services.
- Click Web Service Extensions.
- In the right pane, select each instance of ASP.NET and click the Allow button.
By the way, I couldn't do the last two steps "Click Web Service Extensions" and "In the right pane, select each instance of ASP.NET and click the Allow button," because they were not available. I am fed up! What am I doing wrong? And yes, I have logged on as admin. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
As of V1.0, there's a command-line utility to re-configure ASP.NET with all Web sites on your machine. You have to run the following command at the prompt:
Replace path with your current windows folder and .NET version. (The one I used is for v1.0.) That should do the trick.
This was first published in March 2003