I installed Visual Studio .NET final beta on Windows XP Pro SP1 on a FAT32 running FrontPage server. I manually configured FrontPage, because apparently that's what one has to do if running FAT32. Anyway, it installed fine, but I am having a problem generating anything new or opening a Web application. I keep getting this error message:
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
"Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or services."
Now I read somewhere that ASP.NET has to be activated, so I followed the steps below:
To enable ASP.NET access through IIS (this is what I had to do):
- From the Start menu, choose Run.
- In the Open dialog box, type compmgmt.msc s, and then click OK to open the Computer Management dialog box.
- In the Computer Management dialog box, expand Services and Applications.
- In the Services and Applications node, click Services and find World Wide Web Publishing Service in the right pane. If the status is Started, skip to step 6. Otherwise, double-click World Wide Web Publishing Service to open the Properties window, change Startup Type to Automatic, and click Start in the Service Status area, click OK.
- In the Services and Applications node, right-click Internet Information Services, select All Tasks from the shortcut menu, choose Restart IIS, and click OK to start IIS.
- In the Services and Applications node, expand Internet Information Services.
- Click Web Service Extensions.
- In the right pane, select each instance of ASP.NET and click the Allow button.
By the way, I couldn't do the last two steps "Click Web Service Extensions" and "In the right pane, select each instance of ASP.NET and click the Allow button," because they were not available. I am fed up! What am I doing wrong? And yes, I have logged on as admin. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
As of V1.0, there's a command-line utility to re-configure ASP.NET with all Web sites on your machine. You have to run the following command at the prompt:
Replace path with your current windows folder and .NET version. (The one I used is for v1.0.) That should do the trick.
Dig Deeper on Win Development Resources
Related Q&A from Daniel Cazzulino
Here Daniel Cazzulino explains how to load a DSL (domain specific language) domain model instance file programmatically. This requires the .NET type ...continue reading
Here we offer a glimpse at 12 of .NET development expert Danny Cazzulino's top ASP.NET questions and answers.continue reading
C# developers should NOT be modifying InitializeComponent method in the code-behind (or any of the variable definitions) by hand.continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.