Sorry! I assumed that everyone knew the trick. Here's what you do on Windows XP/Server 2003:
- Start Explorer.
- Select Folder Options from the Tools menu.
- Click on the File Types tab in the Folder Options dialog.
- Make sure the Registered File Types list box is highlighted.
- Type in the extension you want to change. For example, to change .DSW files, you'd type "DSW" (without the quotes).
- Click the Change button.
- In the Open With dialog, scroll in the Programs tree control until you find the program you want to use to open the file. In the case of DSW files, you'd scroll until you see Microsoft Visual Studio. Select the program and click OK.
- If the program you want to use to open the files is not listed, click on the Browse button and in the Open With dialog, select the .EXE file you want to use.
This was first published in June 2003